Monday, May 11, 2015

11th MAY 2015 MADHURI FILMINDIA 

Archive for ‘Baburao Patel's Poisonous Pen’

SEPTEMBER 3, 2012

Labor of love

It’s Labor Day here in the US and Canada, and let me tell you something: I have really labored for you guys. I recently got my hands on a very fragile and worn copy of Baburao and Sushila Rani Patel’s 1952 book called “Stars of the Indian Screen.” It features 36 actors and actresses, with a short biography of each accompanied by a gorgeous colored plate like the ones above. And though the book is credited as written by Sushila Rani Patel and edited by Baburao, the bios have Baburao’s trademark snark all over them, by which I mean they are awesome.
APRIL 27, 2012

Candy is dandy

All I can think of when I look at Filmindia magazines, especially the covers and color plates inside, is candy.

Glorious, gLoRiOus CANDY!

FEBRUARY 16, 2012

From the archives: even more more

This week has been quite harrowing: my sweet little Callie had four seizures on Sunday and was admitted to the hospital for three days while doctors tried to figure out what was going on. The good news is that she appears to be in really good health, especially given her age and puppy mill past, except of course for the seizures (“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?”). The veterinary neurologist (#firstworldproblems) has diagnosed her with idiopathic epilepsy encephalitis, which I think means they have no idea what’s wrong but have to say something because I’ve essentially just donated a new wing to the hospital. She’s now on two anti-convulsant medications a boatload of medications and home, staggering around like a drunken sailor and twitchy. It takes a little time for the meds to kick in (or to get the right dosage), but I am very hopeful that these partial seizures will stop soon.
UPDATE: She has been re-diagnosed with encephalitis (GME—autoimmune encephalitis). This makes me very sad, but it is treatable with a LOT of meds (including injections which I get to learn how to give) and very careful management. Luckily the neurologist I have is one of the best in the world at treating this, so I remain hopeful.
I do know for sure that both Gilda and I are very very happy to have her back with us, bobbling head and all. But I have not had the time nor the inclination to watch any films so you’ll just have to make do with more gorgeousFilmindia scans. I know, I know: they are no kind of substitute for my deeply analytic and scholarly reviews, but there you have it! Try to manage.
FEBRUARY 13, 2012

From the archives: more filmindia

The beauty bounty continues with color plates of Madhubala:
FEBRUARY 2, 2012

From the archives: eye candy

More like a gay cowboy than a gay knight, but what does it matter when he’s so so very handsome?
But why isn’t he in color? I WANT TO SEE HIM IN COLOR.
OCTOBER 14, 2010

Filmindia covers 1946

Work is interfering with my blogging time once again. So I’ll let Baburao Patel’s Filmindia magazines entertain us for a while.
Equating cigarette smoking with Paradise since 1946!
SEPTEMBER 9, 2010

Oh! The pretty!

I’ve managed to get my hands on some Filmindia magazines from 1946. Naturally I will share the juiciest items from Baburao Patels’s witty pen, but right now I am just loving the beautiful color plates of these lovely actresses.
MAY 1, 2010

Bits and pieces

I’ve been busy this week and not had time to watch any fillums. So here are more bits and pieces from my favorite film magazine editor to entertain you all.
I take great comfort from the fact that even Baburao Patel occasionally gets things completely wrong.
APRIL 10, 2010

LOL with Baburao Patel

*Memsaab falls off her chair laughing and is unable to continue*
website statistics
JANUARY 31, 2010

The Gunga Din tamasha

I have had the good fortune to get my hands on some Filmindia issues from 1939, courtesy of my friend Shalini, who sums up the reading experience perfectly: “…like being in a time warp with a sarcastic, witty, opiniated guide.”

No comments:

Post a Comment